Announcements - GCNEWS, Vol. 4, February 1997
A Newsletter for Galactic Center Research
This Volume was edited by Angela Cotera & Heino Falcke
Volume 4, February 1997
- GBI Monitoring of Sgr A*: Thanks to NASA, the Green Bank Interferometer (GBI) is
working again. It is now fully dedicated to continually monitor radio
sources which are of interest to X-ray astronomers. There is a good
chance that your pet-source is already included in the program, but
you can also propose new sources. The data is public and can be used
by anyone almost immediately. Among the sources included in the
program is the Galactic Center source Sgr A*. However, at present
the calibration of this low-declination source with its extended
emission is problematic and hence the data must be treated with great
care. We will inform you as soon as the problems are solved and
include a link on our web-page that will give you a daily update of
the Sgr A* flux. Heino Falcke
will serve as an informal contact person for any questions related to
that particular source or see the GBI home page for
questions on the program.
- MSX: Images obtained with MSX (Midcourse Space Experiment) of the
Galactic Center were released to the public late last July. To see
these interesting midinfrared images, go to
- Meeting: There will be a pre-IAU meeting in Hong Kong, 1997 PACIFIC RIM
CONFERENCE ON STELLAR ASTROPHYSICS, August 13 - 16, at The Hong
Kong University of Science and Technology. For more information
contact K.L. Chan. Abstract
deadline is March 31st.
- Deadline: The next deadline to insure your abstract is included in GCNEWS
Volume 5 is April 15, 1997 (but we must admit that this is rather a
``Schroedinger'' deadline: half dead and half alive - you can never now
Page currently maintained by
L. O. Sjouwerman.
File last modified on Monday 04 August 2003 [09:52 MDT].
- Editors of this Volume: Angela Cotera & Heino Falcke
- The GCNEWS Logo
at the top of this page shows a 20cm radio map of the GC (Sgr A) made by Yusef-Zadeh & Morris.
- The GCNEWS newsletters, newsflashes and web pages are based on scripts originally developed by
- Internet access for GCNEWS is currently sponsored by the
National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Socorro NM/USA.