Next: Version 9.3
Up: Old Releases
Previous: Version 10.0
This version brings in many new capabilities including support for
multiple phase centers on the DiFX correlator, automatic insertion
of geodetic segments (DELZN), enhancement to DWELL to allow
scans to start before the slowest antennas arrive, and support for
the new wideband hardware (RDBE and Mark5C with hooks for the DBBC).
The release will likely be on Jan. 14, 2011.
- When using the RDBE/MARK5C, make it optional to have the crd
files provide the commands needed for parallel VLBA DAR/MARK5A recordings.
The switch is DOMKA (read DO-MARK5A). This is expected to be of use
mainly for testing. A tricky part of this was making the pulse cal
tone detection commands come out right when recording only the center
RDBE channels and only the center part of the bandwidth of each RDBE
channel. Jan. 11, 2011. RCW.
- Doing more to remove the need to match formats, and specifically
track bit rates, at different stations. Now, for VLBA (non RDBE) and
MKIV formats, the smallest possible fan out will be chosen consistent
with the formatter track bit rate limitations. This will mean that
many projects will see a reduction in the fan out used. This should
not be an issue in the disk/DiFX era. Jan. 7, 2010 RCW.
- Removing more bits of residual code related to tape. SETSPD is
gone. Also removing some items related to the VLBA hardware
correlator, which is now off. OKMODES is gone. Jan. 7, 2011 RCW.
- Change MINPAUSE usage so that it does not get multiplied by the
speedup factor. The speedup factor concept is mainly for the old
VLBA hardware correlator and no longer makes much sense so it will be
removed soon. Jan. 7, 2011 RCW.
- Add examples for use of the RDBE/MARK5C wideband system. They are
egrdbe.key for the PFB personality and egddc for the DDC
personality. Jan. 6, 2011 RCW.
- The Vex definition calls for the epoch related to site motions
(site_position_epoch) to be given in a date format like
2000y001d, but SCHED has been using the MJD. A line giving the date
in the approved format has been added, but as a comment. We need to
get all reading programs that want the MJD to understand the approved
format before switching. Jan. 5, 2011 RCW.
- Add checking of setup parameters for RDBE PFB and DDC personalities.
Dec. 30, 2010 RCW
- Make a few changes to the v2d file to make them more
useful for operations. Dec. 22, 2010 RCW.
- Wrap NOTES, CORNOTES, and COMMENTS that
overflow the 128 character limit in the Vex file. They were capable of
generating lines long enough to crash the parsers. Nov. 21, 2010 RCW.
- Update source and station location tables. The standard
sources.vlba now has the sources from the GSFC 2010a_astro solution
plus additional sources from the Petrov rfc2010c solution and a few
JVAS, VLA and other sources for a total of 5776. There is also a file
with just the Petrov solution sources - 5198 of them. The station
locations are based on the GSFC 2010a solution. Many of the old
mobile VLBI sites have been removed. Dec. 5, 2010. RCW.
- Add flux density data (inputs FLUX and FLUXREF) to
the source catalog. Rebuild the catalog to include such information
obtained with the Petrov 2010c release. So far SCHED does not use
that information, but the option to do so in the future is now there.
Nov. 10, 2010. RCW.
- Tweak the way scan timing is handled. This will provide slightly
improved slew calculations. One impact is that new schedules can have
scan times that differ from old ones made from the same input file
by and amount that accumulates at a rate of a second or two per scan.
Oct. 2010 RCW.
- Added second and third arguments to
DWELL to instruct SCHED not to wait for some number of
antennas. The second argument says how many antennas to not wait for
while the third gives a minimum integration time for those last antennas.
Adding this capability triggered a considerable reworking of the code
related to scan timing and geometric calculations. The code is somewhat
cleaner now. SCHED now removes a station from a scan if the slew is
so long it will not get there before the end. An exception is for
scans that trigger an azimuth wrap for ALTAZ antennas. It was found
that, if those scans were dropped, the antenna could get stuck observing
only one source for a while in a phase referencing situation when one
source needs the wrap before the other. A ``W'' flag was added to the
``UP'' flags to indicate a scan where the antenna will not get to the
source. Oct-Dec, 2010. RCW.
- Increase the number of allowed aliases for source names from
5 to 10. Sept. 30, 2010. RCW.
- Released a beta version on Sept. 27, 2010. RCW
- Add axis offsets to the station location parameters shown
in the summary file. Also add warning if the axis offset is zero
as that is a likely indication that the station locations come
from an inaccurate source and might not be adequate for correlation.
Aug. 19, 2010 RCW.
- Add the time and date that SCHED was run to the very end of
the summary file. Note that this will cause there to always
be a two line difference when the Verify script runs the examples
and compares them to standard output. July 29, 2010 RCW.
- Removing some tape stuff, including full routines CHKV4REC,
CHKVREC, CHK4REC, CRDNRAO, EGMK2, INDXHEAD, SCHTAPE, SNAP, TAPELFAG,
TPAUTO, TPINI, tpinit.inc, TPMK2, TPPACK, TPREV, TPS2, TPSCH, TPTAPE,
TSYNC, VLBACHG, VLBAEND, VLBATI, VLBATP, VXSCH, VXSCHK and much code
in other routines. Also removing obsolete output control file formats
SNAP and NRAO. VLA should go soon as that moves to VEX. Remove Vex
routines VXSCH, VXSCHK, and modify VXWRPO to remove calls to routines
being eliminated. Remove the Mark 2 example. The tapeini section
concept is also removed. Any TAPEINI section in an input file will
cause SCHED to die. The end of an era! But residual tape stuff,
like tracks, cannot be completely removed until Mark5A is gone as
it is a tape emulator. July 20-23, 2010. RCW
- Released a beta version July 19, 2010. RCW
- Prevent recording on the Mark5A when FORMAT=NONE for equipment
controlled by the crd files. Part of the transition to the digital
backends. July 19, 2010. RCW.
- Write VEX files that describe observations with the RDBE and
Mark5C. These files are usable for correlation and for the parts of
the telescope system that control the new hardware when running with
the RDBE and Mark5C. Track assignments are given for Mark5B format
which is what is now used. Checking is still minimal. The number of
channels, and properties of the channels should be set appropriate for
the RDBE including frequency settings above 1000 that are not allowed
with the BBCs, but occur with the RDBE. High channel bandwidths and
sample rates are allowed.
When writing files for the RDBE, the crd files, which control the old
formatter and BBCs, are using FORMAT=NONE so they cannot be used for
recording on the old system. The internal structure of SCHED would
make it difficult to write both crd files appropriate for the old
backend and Mark5A and RDBE/Mark5C files at the same time. If
parallel recording is desired, a Mark5A schedule should be written to
control the old hardware and a RDBE/Mark5C schdule should be written
to control that hardware. Both VEX files will be needed for
correlation. When writing RDBE/Mark5C schedules, the crd files are
adjusted to set the BBC's to match the RDBE baseband channels as well
as can be done (max freq 1000, max bandwidth 16 MHz, max samplerate 32
MHz). These BBC settings may be useful for monitor data such as Tsys.
about July 7, 2010. RCW
- Implement automatic insertion of geodetic segments, including
parameters GEOSEG, GEOSRCS, and GEOPRT. There is a
sample schedule egdelzn.key in the examples area. Infrastructure by
June 1, 2010. Tweaking algorithm until at least Sept. 27, 2010. RCW.
- Give CORCHAN a second argument to use for the FFT size.
May 14, 2010.
- Implement and document multiple phase center specification
for use of that capability on the DiFX correlator. May 12, 2010. RCW.
- Update the list in the manual of examples. May 12, 2010 RCW
- Make the accounting of scan and baseline time for each
source in the summary file separate for each setup file.
May 5, 2010 RCW.
- Added SRCFILE2 to allow a second external source
catalog. This is a step toward supporting multiple phase centers.
May 4, 2010 RCW.
- Write a template .v2d output file to aid in setup for DiFX
correlation. This is also a step toward support for multiple phase
centers. May 4, 2010 RCW.
- Install the results of measurements of slew rates of VLBA
antennas. See VLBA Test Memo 70. They are somewhat slower than
the previously advertised values. April 30, 2010. RCW
- Change default prestart to 5 seconds. The correlator doesn't
need time to sync up now, but the Mark5A units need about that long
to get going after they are commanded to do so at the stations. This
will change again with Mark5C. April 28, 2010 RCW.
- Drop trailing blanks for comments written to the VEX file.
DRUDG was having problems. There will still be problems if someone
uses all 128 allowed characters. I don't yet know the upper limit.
April 15, 2010 RCW.
- Add a bit of tolerance in the check of whether antennas get
to source late. Round off errors were causing spurious warnings.
April 12, 2010 RCW.
- Bug fix for finding right freq.dat entry. This affected SUN
computers and the binary for the sun version of 9.3 was replaces.
Apr. 8, 2010. RCW.
Next: Version 9.3
Up: Old Releases
Previous: Version 10.0