3C 120 OVERVIEW
Disturbed galaxy at z=0.033
- Arcminute optical image. Doesn’t match elliptical or spiral
- Originally classed as Seyfert, but many options suggested
- Strong and variable emitter in all bands
- Reverberation-mapping BH mass of about 3 ? 107 M?
- No obvious interaction partner. Advanced merger?
- Rapidly variable core, one-sided jet, confused on large scale
- Typically 3 Jy in cm bands, sometimes much more.
- Structure on scales from under a mas to 14?
- Superluminal motions — one of first known
- Jet detected in optical and X-ray