[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Kids in Socorro
Socorro is a small town with about 10,000 residents; unfortunately this
means there is little in the way of childcare, especially for babies.
Various local baby-sitters may be available on an individual
basis. None in Socorro are bonded or insured, and we cannot make any
guarantees about any of them: these are simply towns-folk who have looked
after various NRAO kids in the past. Again, please contact Michael Rupen
if you would like some names and phone numbers.
Putting together a more formal program of daycare for workshops like this
is unfortunately not economical, since it's 75 miles to the nearest large
city, and past experience suggests there would be a small number of people
looking for daycare to cover a large range of childrens' ages.
This is only a partial list, for kids of various ages.
See also the Socorro and New Mexico links on the
Local Information page.
- Hammil Museum and Train exposition, 2nd Street
hours: First Saturday of the month, 9am-1pm or call 835-3437
- NMT Mineral Museum, Campus Drive, 835-5524
hours: M-F 8am-5pm, weekends 10am-3pm
- Nature Preserves and National Parks:
...all are open basically dawn to dusk, daily.
- Bosque del Apache, San Antonio, NM
Includes: Tour Center, Hiking Trails
- Riverine Park, Socorro, NM (north end of main diversion channel)
Includes: Trails along river, picnic tables
- Water Canyon Campground, Highway 60 west
Includes: Trails, picnic tables
- Box Canyon, Highway 60 west
Includes: Rock climbing, trails
- Arroyo del Tajo Canyon, Quebradas Road
Includes: Petroglyphs, trails (not easy to find)
- Parks in Socorro:
- Sedillo Park, Bullock St.
Good shade, picnic tables, playground, large fields
- NMT Childrens Play area
Playground, one table, some shade, duck pond -- easy walking distance from
- Clark Field, N. California St.
Running track, picnic tables, playground
- Library: 401 Park St., 835-1114
- Children's Story hour: Wed., Thurs. at 10:30am
- Sedillo Park Pool, El Camino Real, 835-3091
hours: 7:00am to 6:00pm, Memorial Day to Labor Day
lap swim: 12:00-1:00pm
Last modified 07 August 2001